Genicular Nerve Block & RF Ablation
The genicular nerve block and RFA are a proven and popular procedure to combat knee pain. The specialist interventional pain management physicians at Newbridge Spine & Pain Center perform this innovative new procedure for treating patients with knee pain without surgery. Genicular Nerve Block or Genicular Radiofrequency Nerve Ablation can be done before if the hopes of preventing surgery or after knee surgery to offer pain relief.
This state-of-the-art procedure relieves pain in patients experiencing knee pain due to any of the following conditions:
- Chronic Knee Pain
- Degenerative Joint Disease (of the knee)
- Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee
- Prior to or following a total knee replacement
- Prior to or following a partial knee replacement
- Patients unfit for knee replacement
- Patients who wish to avoid a knee replacement
The procedure is performed in 2 stages:
- Diagnostic Genicular Nerve Block – this procedure consists of placing a small amount of a local anesthetic, on the genicular nerves. This tests the patient’s response and determines if there is sufficient pain relief in the knee to justify performing a therapeutic neurotomy
- Genicular Nerve Ablation – during this therapeutic portion of treatment, your pain management physician will perform a radiofrequency ablation (RFA) of the genicular nerves, restoring function of the knee and alleviating pain.
If you or someone you know is experiencing knee pain or suffers from any of the above conditions give us a call at any one of our four convenient locations in Maryland and Virigina to discuss what our interventional pain management procedures can do to relieve your pain.