Fibromyalgia describes a muscle disorder characterized by widespread aching that lasts for more than three months. Tender points are found on both sides of the body, and the pain is usually continuous. There may be day-to-day fluctuations in intensity that shift from one area of the body to another. The number of people suffering from Fibromyalgia is increasing each year.
What are the symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
- Deep muscle pain
- Morning stiffness
- Sleep problems
- Memory problems
- Constipation or diarrhea
What are my Fibromyalgia treatment options?
- Trigger point injection therapy -local injections of analgesics and/or cortisone medication into the trigger-point areas can also be helpful in relieving painful soft tissues
- Botox – blocks neuromuscular transmission and can relieve pain and spasms
- Antidepressant medications – very helpful in relieving fibromyalgia pain & improving deep restorative sleep. They work by balancing serotonin & other brain chemicals
- Anticonvulsants – are developed to treat seizures and help relieve many types of pain.
- Analgesics – Acetaminophen (Tylenol®) may help ease pain and stiffness
- Physical therapy – specific exercises can help restore muscle balance and may reduce pain associated with Fibromyalgia
- Counseling – teaches you methods for dealing with stressful situations and may help you manage your Fibromyalgia.